Delicious and interesting in flavour the Kiwi fruit – otherwise known as the Chinese gooseberry – is full of health promoting phytochemicals, minerals and vitamins. Packed full of flavour and made only with real Kiwi’s grown and picked in Italy, water and a touch of sugar, ODK Kiwi cocktail fruit puree is the perfect way to work the Kiwi fruit into your next cocktail creation.
Native to Asia, this exotic fruit is also known as the national fruit of the China – where it was thought to originate in the Saanxi province. The journey of this humble gooseberry is an interesting one, first travelling from mainland China to Oceania and from there around the rest of the world! During the early 20th century Kiwi fruits were carried by Chinese missionaries to New Zealand where it eventually became a naturally occurring fruit. From New Zealand trade took this fantastic fruit out across Europe and as far as the west coast of the USA.
Not only does our Kiwi fruit puree make the whole process of adding a touch of Kiwi flavour to your food or drink a great deal easier than peeling and chopping up an entire kiwi fruit; it can also be a fantastic accompaniment for more than cocktails and mocktails – try it as an added flavour to any neutral tasting food or drink, or perhaps with a large dollop of natural yoghurt (which is also apparently very good for you).
Although consuming Kiwi’s via our ODK fruit puree alongside copious amounts of alcohol may not bring some of the health benefits you are expecting! Balance the alcohol out right however, and you can have yourself a healthy cocktail!
- A great and healthy source of calories and therefore energy. Kiwi’s also have many health benefiting antioxidants, minerals, vitamins, and fibre.
- The fruit is an excellent source of antioxidant vitamin-C; providing about 154% of the DRI (daily-recommended intake). Consumption of foods rich in vitamin-C helps the body develop resistance against infectious agents and scavenge harmful free radicals.
- Kiwi fruit contains very healthy levels of vitamin-A, vitamin-E, vitamin-K and flavonoid antioxidants. Vitamin-K has a potential role in the bone mass building by promoting osteoblastic activity in the bone. It also has established a role in Alzheimer’s disease patients by limiting neuronal damage in the brain.
- Research studies suggest that certain chemical substances in kiwi-fruit functions as blood thinner function similar to aspirin; thus, it helps prevent clot formation inside the blood vessels and protect them from stroke and heart-attack risk.
- Kiwi-fruit seeds are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids. Research studies show that consumption of foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease, stroke, and help prevent the development of ADHD, autism, and other developmental disorders in children.
From heart disease to alzheimer’s who knew the contents of Kiwi fruit could be so potentially helpful to us and our bodies! Now we know just how we want to enjoy our Chinese Gooseberry: